GREEN PAPAYA SALAD
One of my favorite appetizers to order at Thai restaurants is papaya salad. However, I can’t have any when I’m on any type of sugar-free challenge because there’s a ton of sugar in the sauce. So here’s a paleo sugar-free version!
*Note: there are different versions of papaya salad (Vietnamese, Thai, Laos, probably more..) This is more like the Thai version.
- 2 cups shredded green papaya (NOT ripe – this sht is hard)
- 4 cloves garlic, cut into 4-5 pieces per clove
- 1 Thai green chili, sliced into approx 8 pieces (comes out mild+ish)
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- juice of 3/4 of a lemon
- 2 tbs sugar-free fish sauce (I use Red Boat fish sauce – you can find on Amazon or some Asian supermarkets)
- 6-7 cashews, crushed
- 6 long green beans, chopped into 1 inch pieces
- shred about 2 cups worth of papaya
- place shredded papaya into bowl of cool water (supposed to help keep the papaya crisp)
- take a couple pieces of garlic & a couple pieces of chili (however much will fit) & place them into your garlic crusher
- in a new small bowl, squeeze/crush the garlic & chili until most of it is squished
- scrape out the remaining pulpy stuffs and add that to your bowl too
- repeat for all of your garlic/chili
- drain your papaya
- in a new large bowl, combine papaya, crushed garlic & chili
- toss thoroughly with hands, squeezing the garlic & chili into the papaya
- add long green beans, fish sauce & lemon juice
- toss thoroughly again
- add chopped tomatoes
- lightly mix
- transfer to a more presentable & instagrammable bowl/plate
- sprinkle crushed cashews on top
- INSTAGRAM! #getinmahbellay
It’s been one year since I rescued my bebs Hurley. He was about 3 when I rescued him on June 15th, 2013 so we celebrated his 4th birthday this past week. This is a big deal ok?! He only gets so many of these so I want to make sure he feels all the love!
Needless to say, I spoiled his fat ass rotten :)
Sausage birthday cake – he’s livin the dream.
He took a birthday shower & walked around covering his junk bc he’s shy.
I know, more pictures of Hurls than of the food. Just giving the people what they want. ;)